The Day he lied to me……

Posted by Unknown on 3:28 PM with No comments


“Visitors are only allowed between 5 PM to 7 PM. You have to wait till that time ‘’. Guard at the Fortis Hospital gate told me disapprovingly at my request of entry. The watch showed 3.30 PM, still one and half hour. I had reached hospital straight from the Airport. It was after Eight months I was returning to Mumbai .But Amchi Mumbai still felt like my own. If you born and bought up in Mumbai,you are going to miss it ,does not matter you are in Delhi or New York . But Akshay was working in Delhi based corporate , working in corporate office ,his job was not transferable .Any way it is mostly girl who had to compromise .I shifted my loved job & loved city to settle with Akshay .But it was worth it , only for Akshay

Akshay was passionate about his work and career but at same time knew happiness lies beyond money you make .He balanced his work- life  to almost a perfection .He never neglected his personal life for work although vice versa may not always be true but he was professional .He was caring & most loving husband I always imagined to have.I  never asked me to sacrifice my career. He understood ,when I was late at work .In any situation, he first thought  of me then himself . Some time even cooked food for both of us when I was late .I just fell in love all over again every time he did that .Eight months of married life was bliss .Everything I thought would have been no better than reality . Life was as smooth, was jolted by sudden news. Shikha  my younger sister informed me about Amit’s serious illness .I never had second thought  about rushing back to Mumbai .I called Akshay to inform him about my plans , He in turn offered to come along .Such a sweetheart he was, I thought

I was first visitor to barge in as soon as clock struck five ,rushed to reception . Amit Patil  .ward number please? ,I asked . I was directed to ICU . When I reached there I saw his Mom . I always remembered aunty for awesome food she cooked. Aunt’s  puran poli was my favorite . She was always so cheerful when I told her that ,but today she was numb .I realized situation was worse than I had imagined . She embraced me as soon as she saw. She started crying ,perhaps nth time that day .I tried to console her in vain .Only so much I would do. Only one person per patient  at time in ICU was the rule . I was number 5 in the list of preferences .My heart sank as I approached Amit‘s bed , All wired up to machines ,which showed some weird signs .You think it all was funny when you see them in movies , but in reality they are not the pretty sight .Specially when that  machines are showing progress of someone you loved . Any  awkward  moment  or sound from them make you skip a heartbeat .Amit was sleeping or was he unconscious .I just observed him from side of the bed .I had many questions in my mind but it was obvious Amit was not going to answer any of them , at least not immediately .

My mind wondered to beautiful relationship we shared. We were two fresher  joining same corporate .We had some awesome time in first year when we bunch of six trained together in various verticals of business . Amit and me were inseparable. Solving each other’s  doubts .Listening each other complaints . Hoping we were at right place .We were solace to each other in our career . That bonding continued  until Amit went on for further studies. He decided to do his  MBA from premier institute . I felt happy for him when he was selected, he was anyway bored from mundane job .Only when he was away then I realized it that how much I loved him. I missed him like fish without water . I realized the true feelings due to the distance. Was he feeling the same way? , I was yet to find out .But that was not going to be and then Akshay happened in my life .I remembered ,how Amit was  all along assuring me that Akshay was perfect for me .He was right, like always .Perhaps life leads us to the right path .

When I joined Amit’s family in waiting room  I was unsure how to broach the questionsI had . The waiting room of hospital is filled with stories of unfortunates .If you happened to acquaintance the people they will fill you with story of their own misfortune  . Then you finally come face to the fact that  the  no mater how much happy your life is, it can suddenly  jolt to topsy-turvy without you even realizing it . Nature had its own way of balance .I asked his mom what happened to him. He was suffering  from liver disease. Treatment was only temporary and it was just postponing the inevitable. This was the invitable we always dreaded to face, his mom told me.

But for how long he was suffering from this ?  Just when he started his MBA ,he was diagnosed with it .


I was shocked .He was suffering from a deadly disease but never let me know all this long .He was my closest friend & We never hid anything from each other .And it dawned to me, Why ? Tears started rolling through my eyes.How would I didn’t read those eyes .Why I didn’t understood the pain . I can’t let him go like this .But then destiny was planning something else .I  realised his betrayal .I hated for him for that. The day when I had expressed my feeling towards him. He told me ,” I don’t love you that way and never will ‘.The day he lied to me …………………………….


This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.
Categories: