Pursuit of Happyness

Posted by Unknown on 12:36 PM with No comments
Inspiration .We all are looking for inspiration. What is purpose of Life?A good ( high paying ) Job. good ( spacious ) apartment, good ( loving) partner.good (branded) Car. Suppose you have earned enough to afford all of these. What's next?. A good ( higher paying ) Job. good ( More Spacious ) Apartment, Good ( Less Nagging) Partner, good  ( Many Branded) Car. and then what's Next?Will this ever end.? Are we getting into the vicious circle of life. At the end of the day, do we feel content that we have achieved  by earning more money. I guess NO, it's hollow feeling  and the search continues.


They told me about an NGO Help Age India, Which worked for Aged /Senior Citizens who have no one to look after them. Either have no relative or their  Relatives don't need them anymore.


My thoughts immediately went to my parents. I have lost my parents at early age.I miss them a lot.I can not comprehend people who disown their parents." Love Your Parents ,We are so busy growing up .We Often Forget they are also growing old .Aging is process so natural.We are all going to get old one day .Your Parent are Someone who brought you up.Someone who took care of you.why can't take care of them. How can the world be so selfish?
They spent their own life on you.But I guess its matter of convenience. I have heard of  people have  many children fighting on who will keep them.Why should I? I know it's  difficult. I have gone through. They get sick can not move around, but it's same like new born children you have to look after them all the time.But when no one disowns their children, why did they disown their parents? I guess it's about hope. Children will grow up  and will make you proud. But old people are going to die in some time.I remember the incident. When my dad was in ICU for extended illness. Every few days  he would slip into COMA. After one month, the doctor gave up hope.He  told me that his condition is  deteriorating so much that  he had to put in the ventilator and will cost you too much. I asked him if I had a choice. He said, "I did', I told him, 'I didn't "I still had hope .I  waited for two days outside ICU(you are not allowed inside ICU ward) , almost awaiting the inevitable news .Next day evening , when a doctor called me in, I saw my dad sitting on a bed and smiling. I had tears in my eyes. Doctor gave me the assuring look. The smile on my dad's face was worth billion. I did have an option, option for hope .

Coming back to Jayasuriya  and Nikhil who was sitting with me. They appraised me with work Helpage India did.

Help Age India has various Programs ranging from Old age Homes to Active Aging Centres, It also ran Specific Medical  Help in a form of Health Camps, Cataract Surgeries, Cancer ,Physio Care etc

 Some Statistics for Elderly population in India (Source :Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation )
  • About 65 per cent of the aged had to depend on others for their day-to-day maintenance. Less than 20% of elderly women but majority of elderly men were economically independent. 
  • Among economically dependent elderly men 6-7% were financially supported by their spouses, almost 85% by their own children, 2% by grand children and 6% by others. Of elderly women, less than 20% depended on their spouses, more than 70% on their children, 3% on grand children and 6% or more on others including the non-relations.
I was more than keen to make a donation to them. (You can Donate Here).We got chating about other things that when they told me that they are volunteering  for Help age India. They were graduates working in Leading Banks and they do Volunteering in their free time. Jayasurya spotted guitar and asked me about my hobby. He played few tunes too. My thoughts immediately went to Youth of today.It made me realise that these people  are similar  to me. They enjoy the playing guitar and  may be they are Rock music fan Like many. They may be big movie fan or Bookworm. But In spite of whatever  they are, they are also empathic towards a cause. Whenever I thought of doing something good  for society,  my question to Self ' Where is the time ?. But in Front of me where Live examples of Two Youngster taking time out of their Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, movies, Guitar, Reading, Personal Life and Work  and  did something for society .Until then, for me, Image of Youth of the country   was only their accreditation to everything international from Music to Movie stars . One who can not watch Kahani Ghar ki but swear by Sitcoms Like How I Met your Mother/Friends. Who is unaware of RD Burman but Idolise  Backstreet Boys/Brain Adams /Justin Bieber. For some people Volunteering is about giving , but for likes of them it is way of living 

But I was in for the rude shock , Not only Youth of today  had shattered my misconception but at the same time taught me the lesson .They gave me inspiration for doing something good for society.When I, myself did some Volunteering work.I tried to do my bit.I urged my friends to do the same. Even one hour spent at Old age home can bring happiness to one person in the world.It will make them feel wanted.If you have the will, you can do more. My plea of  lack of time is a myth when  I was surfing through irrelevant channels. I did same volunteering  even in my own area not travelling much it and  have certainly funded one Old man's Cataract Operation. The two youth spending their Sunday gave me much hope and inspiration. It not only changed my perception about Youth of today but also toward life. Change is within you .



I will quote  Mahatma Gandhi."The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others" .It surely the best way to find yourself. .True happiness is always in giving. An ounce of Giving gives you  mountains full of Pleasure.
You must be the Change, You want to see in the world.Something is better than nothing Small contribution of all can create huge impact

The youth of today can lead us to Break stereotypes and amplify social change .Click on YOUTH KI AWAAZ to know More. You can too #SpreadTheVibe about such social change.












Categories: ,