My First Expert

Posted by Unknown on 12:21 PM with No comments
I wrote my first essay on my mom in 7th standard , it was in Marathi .I was persuaded to learn the famous saying ‘Swami Tinhi Jagacha Aai Vina Bhikari” (Master of three worlds ,is pauper without a mother ) a quote from Novel  Shyamchi  Aai ( English: Shyam's Mother) which is hailed as one of the greatest tributes to mother's love in Marathi literature. It was written by famous author and social activist ‘Sane Guruji’. I remember that quote clearly even today .But that time I thought it was a hyperbole.
We all love our mothers, she is  my  24X7  counselor .Be it Food, Clothes , illness, studies or anything only one thing come out of in loud  MOM .But imagine a situation having your Mom’s mom staying with you ,Yes your Grand Mother .You get double  of the expertise at your disposal  .I was one who had a privilege of staying with my Grand Mother .But its didn't seems to be the privilege at that time .My grandmother  was a task master .She was as strict as much love she showered on us ,that’s me along with my three elder sisters.
One thing is striking about my Grand mom was how progressive she was . I grand mom had 6 children . MY mom the eldest and her five brothers .But  my Grand mom sent only Girl child to English Medium School .Other where sent to regional language school  and that was 1950s. I still respect her beyond imagination for that . Even though my grand mom  was illiterate she had learnt English perhaps while teaching my mom .She was  one who taught me my first rhymes .” Twinkle Twinkle “and ‘Baba Black sheep “ .She was one who used to make beautiful crafts project for all of us .  We never wondered  from where my mom got all her talents . So it was my granny who was  #MyFirstExpert

My granny was big hit in our school .We 4 siblings studying in same school over the years made her interact with all the teachers .Everyone knew her. She made it point to discuss our problems and raise any issues we had at appropriate forum .  She always taught us many things but first it was a self-respect . One such  incident that i remember vividly is School Annual Function when i was in 1st standard.  We had also done justice to all good things we were taught always among prize receiver on every school annual function .We siblings, being four in  number ,only multiplied the prizes . My granny was proud of us .We went to function early and hence seated in front rows to receive the prizes. However Principal relatives  were given preference over actual prize winners , and we were asked to vacate and take a back seat literally .Not taking such lousiness lying down , My granny asked us to stage the walk out from the venue .The principal was left red faced .Perhaps he leant a lesson or two from my granny . We too got lesson of life time never to compromise on Self-respect.

My mom too had great influence over us .She was only English speaking mother  among all my school mates .She would discuss with teachers in English we would stand there  in pride. She not only did  all the activities every mom did  .You know what I mean . But she also did some more. We were five sibling and our family income was meagre .Our life was more about survival rather than excellence .Still my mom always inspired us for the  glory . She took activities to support the family and our studies. It was her determination that made is possible for us to complete education in English school even when our financial position was not akin. I remember in spite of goals ahead she always took care of small needs . It was my school farewell Function and I didn't had any good clothes to wear. I wanted that new shirt for farewell functions but was aware of budgetary constraints. Still my mom knew exactly what I wanted. I attended my farewell in new shirt. I am not sure how much compromises she must have made in family budget for that.That's what is each mother is all about.

My mom was critically ill during my tenth exam .But she still accompanied me to my exam Centre .She made sure my studies are not affected by her illness.Today I am quite successful in my professional career .Have come along way from financial duress we faced during our childhood . I don’t have to worry about fees to pay or a shirt to buy or anything else for that mater. But my mom who fulfilled all our wishes had  her  simple wish , owning a pair of gold bangles .My only aim growing up was to earn enough to present my mom with gold bangles. Only i know  how much I regret that I could not fulfill her wish ,during her lifetime .Today I can buy dozens of Gold bangles ,but those can't bring a smile on my mom face .

I have change my perception on quote   ‘Swami Tinhi Jagacha Aai Vina Bhikari’have  Today having lost my mother  , I realize value of statement and  I don’t think it’s a hyperbole

Categories: